Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Something Stinks in the Planning Department Notification Process

I've gotten a couple interesting phone calls due to the story. One from a neighbor very close to where this tower will go. He was mad that he was not informed. When I went back and read the planning commission notes where they talk about who was informed, I found that NO ONE except the developer from White Pines, Eastridge Development (26 high end building sites across the freeway 600 feet from the tower site) was informed. The justification was that there are no homes within 350 feet of this site, (it's rural...duh) so they felt that they didn't need to contact any adjoining landowners EXCEPT the White Pines Development (600 feet away!) Planning felt that they would be affected as they bought their lots before this tower was planned. Well...what about the folks next door who bought their homes years before this tower was planned? Seems like in this town if you're rich and plan to build a fancy home with a lake view you might get a voice at the table. I'm not sure where to go with this, but it really tics me off. I live in this neighborhood too, and there's probably less than 20 homes between me and this tower. But does the City Council listen? Maybe they should, now that I have the Feds after them!

I also got a call from a man in Colorado who's Aunt sent him the story. He does activism for the birds also. It was nice to have someone call and say he's supporting the effort. Keeps me going!

No comments: