Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Did Mankind Inherit the Earth?

I have found that there are many people who will argue about an issue without a whole lot of knowledge to back up their beliefs. My personal crusade to stop a cell tower in my neighborhood has brought out the worst in some people, both online and in person.

I began my fight because I thought that this tower would be placed in an area that is significant to bird migration. My daughter and I wait at the end of our driveway for the school bus. Each fall we watch flocks of birds fly right over our heads. These are extraordinary in that they are huge flocks, and virtually constant. These birds travel in a narrow strip, from the lakeshore to just beyond our yard, uphill from the lake. There are several tiers of flocks. On some days you see Eagles, Hawks and Songbirds flying less than one hundred feet high and some that are tiny specks, several hundred or even thousands of feet high. But there is one constant, lots and lots of birds. Because Hawks and Eagles migrate in the daytime, there are probably 10 times more Songbirds migrating at night!

One evening this fall; as I worked in my garden, I watched the annual migration of Nighthawks. They flew about 30 feet above, I could see their white patches on the undersides of their wings and that their mouths were wide open. Nighthawks cannot swallow, so they fly openmouthed and the bugs they catch slide right down their throats. It was so thick with Nighthawks that a woman jogging down the road stopped and walked in circles, exclaiming, “This is amazing!” Each fall and spring we are fortunate to witness this amazing one day migration. Once, many years ago, I stepped out into my yard and witnessed a Bald Eagle drop a salmon, smack dab into the middle of the yard. That was the moment I started watching the sky, paying attention to the birds migrating through this extraordinary place.

We are fortunate to live directly under the most significant flyway in the western Great Lakes. It is the concentrated path that the birds follow when they come down from Canada. Birds instinctively know that if they were to attempt to fly across Lake Superior they might not eat or find a place to land for a very long time. Therefore they follow the shoreline along Lake Superior. By the time they reach Duluth the numbers are huge. They follow the shore and catch the thermals up to the hill we call Hawk Ridge. Some of these flocks are so large that they are detected on NEXRAD radar! My instincts told me that a place with so much bird movement would not be a good place to erect a man made obstacle like a cell tower. I received confirmation of my belief when Bob Russell with the US Fish and Wildlife Division of Migratory Bird Management called me and encouraged me to fight this tower. He confirmed that this is an “egregious” place for a tower. He regrets that FWS does not have the authority to stop a tower under 200 feet, but acknowledges that this tower should absolutely not go in this major migration path. He was able to help by sending a letter of warning to the City. The letter explains that if this tower is built, FWS will enforce the Migratory Bird Treaty Act, Bald and Golden Eagle Protection Act, and the Endangered Species Act if and when there are documented bird deaths at this tower.

People have shocked me with their ignorance and arrogance. Some people do not believe as I do, that the birds are more important than having improved cell phone coverage for AT&T. They argue that more birds die from window strikes and cat predation. I agree. But this tower is not yet built. It is something that we can avoid. Can we go back and ask everyone to board up windows on buildings already built? Can we enforce a law that says you must keep your cat inside? Those are issues that are ongoing, people are trying to find solutions. That doesn’t mean that we throw up our hands and say…”geez there’s more dead bodies from this, these dead bodies don’t matter.” And then there is the argument that our needs are greater than the lives of animals. This is the argument I’ve seen on the blogs. “If the birds are too stupid to avoid the tower, they deserve to die.” And “It's called survival of the fittest for a reason. If a bird isn't smart enough to fly around the tower, maybe it just wasn't meant to pass along it's genetics to the next generation.”

So we intentionally place an object in the flight path these birds have instinctively followed for thousands of years, and call them stupid if they hit it. We disregard animal life to such an extent that we make fun of a very serious issue. Are people so disconnected from nature that they do not realize that if we continue to trash the Earth and creatures, WE will no longer live? I guess this is the same lack of ethics that allows people to dump their garbage on the side of the road. Or pour motor oil down the sewer drain. Somehow corporations find a way to justify pollution in the name of profits. How about the jerk that shot the last successful breeding Whooping Crane from the eastern migratory population? I’m sure he/she thought it was great fun to kill something. It escalates to the point where we don’t care about each other. We find a way to justify our lack of regard because it’s for the good of humankind. I don’t get it. I really don’t. I find it hard to understand how mankind has gone from being a steward of nature to a dominator.

We claim extraordinary intelligence, but lack the ability to think deeper about our role on the Earth. We are part of a system, a system with a tenuous balance. When we are so arrogant that we cannot even fathom that life might be more valuable than “improved cell coverage and wireless communication” we are in great trouble.

Perhaps you think I’m making a mountain out of a molehill. “Oh, it’s just one tower!” But it is one tower today, placed in one of the most significant avian flyways in the Western Great Lakes. Let this one go and there will be more. Eagles, Hawks, and Songbirds all stand to lose if we have one bad weather day. In fog or rain they will not be able to see this tower, and at 180 feet it is far above the treetops. This has nothing to do with the bird’s intelligence, how smart are we when we place an obstacle in a path that has been used for migration for thousands of years?

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I guess my question is this. Could the tower go else where near by? The tower may be needed it may not, as I said before I don't know enough about the issue. I am learning about it.

It seems as if the tower could still go up but be out of the fly way it would make sense.

Unknown said...

So I will try again. I left a comment yesterday but it is not here, not sure what went wrong.

Again another great post. I guess the question I have is this: Can the tower be put else where? A location that is close to the current localtion but out of the way of the flight of the birds.

If seems to me that some business focus on one location where another might be just as good. You are seeing it again with the substation the MN power wants to build.

Tony Ramone said...

Kelly, I sure hope you are successful in your crusade to stop the tower. I am not sure how many bird kills per year per tower is acceptable, but it seems obvious that for this tower the number would be too high.

As far as anyone who would say, “If the birds are too stupid to avoid the tower, they deserve to die.” They are too stupid. Really, how dumb do you have to be in order to say something like that?

Kelly Boed said...

Hi John, Yes, there is always another alternative for tower siting. I have heard from a communication engineer that the dish could probably even be sited on a power pole and accomplish the goal of better service. It could go on a multistory building (water lab, pumping station, lakeview castle) and not be so intrusive. My opinion is that AT&T wants the big tower because they are able to rent out to three other carriers and make well over $150 thousand a year on rental and cell business.
Tony,
I just received some hard numbers of daytime counts on birds that migrate through this area from a researcher from UMD, it's well into the hundreds of thousands. When you consider that most songbirds fly at night to avoid the raptors you can pretty much multiply that number by 10 (according to Fish and Wildlife)

I also received a chart from her that shows that most birds are flying below 328 feet during the migration, a tower at 180 feet is definitly a hazard.

Go over to Brandon Stahl's buzz blog and see where I am getting flack from "Dan" and "slapshot" under the heading "Proposed cell tower concerns feds" I'm pretty sure it's Danny G. He's the big proponent of birds being stupid and deserving to die.

Kelly Boed said...

Tony, According to Bob Russell at U.S. Fish and Wildlife, the migratory bird treaty act does not allow any unauthorized taking of birds...any. So even one kill that is documented at this tower could trigger enforcement. I asked Bob, "If I'm walking by with my camera and scope and see a dead bird below this tower, do I take a picture and send it to you as documentation?" He said, "Yes, we would appreciate that." So if it comes to that, I will be there early in the morning, after any bad weather nights. I have a very powerful scope, so I could probably get a decent picture from the road. I'm not sure who all would get fines, but surely the City as they were warned. But at this point, the City is still ignoring this.