Saturday, March 6, 2010

Update on Cell Tower

I haven't blogged in awhile as I've been very busy with research and preparation for the filing of an injunction against AT&T. I'm very grateful to have a knowledgeable and willing team member who has taken on the task of writing the documents necessary for this action. I play the role of researcher, helping to find what he needs to support our argument. I'm becoming very adept at finding things on Google, and the various websites it leads me to. I think it's pretty amazing to be able to sit at a computer and have a world of information at your fingertips. I've read quite a few studies on tower kills. I have found much information on how cell signals work and the technology involved in towers and antennas. I've spent time with weather data. I've researched the scenic and esthetic North Shore. I've learned a ton about how birds migrate within this corridor and how geology, weather, instinct, topography and winds can influence the migration. I've also come to realize that we should not argue one obstacle against another. It doesn't matter that window strikes or cats kill more birds than cell tower collisions, these all have a cumulative effect. All are killing birds, and we have to do what we can to reduce the deaths, or one day we won't be waking up to the sound of birds.

4 comments:

Jonathan L. Kramer, Esq. said...

"It doesn't matter that window strikes or cats kill more birds than cell tower collisions, these all have a cumulative effect. All are killing birds, and we have to do what we can to reduce the deaths, or one day we won't be waking up to the sound of birds."

Kelly:

Will you also be filing law suits against other sources of interference to bird flight, as well? For example, against broadcast towers, power transmission lines, tall water tanks, etc.?

Jonathan Kramer

Kelly Boed said...

That's your argument? Yes, if someone else comes along and wants to place something equally egregious in this migration path, then yes, I'm going to fight it.

Jonathan L. Kramer, Esq. said...

Kelly:

My comment wasn't framed as an argument, but merely a query.

Thanks for your reply.

Jonathan

Kelly Boed said...

Excuse me, I've had a long road with this tower battle, and quite a few people slamming me for caring. Perhaps I took the comment in the same vein that I've gotten from the skeptics. But, as I said, if someone was to try to build something else, like a wind turbine for example, in this particular migration area...yes,I'm willing to fight. My beef is not with the tower itself, it is with the location and height of the tower.